Newsweek's Jonathan Alter has some interesting observations about independents, open primaries and power in the American electoral system... Must Reading for independent voters!!!
- While waiting at JFK in New York on part of my relaxing 12-hour flight to Ft. Myers Florida last week (more about that later!), I had trouble logging in to the webcast of the American Citizens' Summit hosted by the Transpartisan Alliance, but here's a Green Party press release and a post by Ordinary Person and by Georgia Independents that gives you a sense of the participation.
- Tennessee state legislature entertains partisan registration bill -- would you want these people telling you what party you belong to???
- Dan Walters' on the rise of independent voters and the prospect of open primaries in California
- South Dakota legislature gives parties rights to closed primaries -- are they horse trading with voters' rights?
- Greg Mitchell, editor of Editor and Publisher, has a new book out "Why Obama Won", noting effect of independent voters
- Barry Rascover in Maryland nails the problem with the Repubs, doesn't get the trend: Independents voted for Obama, but that doesn't make us Dems...