According to the polls, independents are abandoning unions, Obama and the progressive agenda. Or did the unions, Pres. Obama and progressives abandon independents to the right?
- Labor Day, support for unions plunges to all-time low (By: BYRON YORK, Chief Political Correspondent, Washington Examiner) Broken down by political party, Gallup found support for unions has fallen the most among critically-important independent voters. Last year, 63 percent of independents said they approved of unions. Now, just 44 percent say the same thing.
- Labor Unions See Sharp Slide in U.S. Public Support-For first time, fewer than half of Americans approve of labor unions (by Lydia Saad, Gallup)
- Obama is fast losing white voters' support (By Peter Wallsten, LA Times) New surveys show steep declines in Obama's approval ratings among whites -- including Democrats and independents -- who were crucial elements of the diverse coalition that helped elect the country's first black president. Pew Research crosstabs
- Bleeding Independents (by Charlie Cook, National Journal) Indies support Obama's foreign policy, not so much domestic...
Good news for Idaho independents (and all voters)! California referendum in June 2010.
- Federal judge wants trial in election suit (By REBECCA BOONE - Associated Press, KBCI-CBS News) Harry Kresky, the New York-based attorney representing the Independent groups who intervened in the case, said he was pleased with Winmill's ruling, because it means that the Idaho Republican Party will be held to a higher standard of proof if they want to win the case.
- Judge sets trial on Idaho primaries (Betsy Z. Russell, Spokesman Review)
- Judge Says Trial Needed in Idaho Republican Party Case Against Open Primary (Ballot Access News)
- California Election Law Bill News (Ballot Access News)
- Open primary could help ease Sacramento gridlock (Martin Wisckol, Columnist: The Buzz, The Orange County Register)
Chris Daggett is giving them a run for their money in New Jersey. Redux on toll road in Texas?
Colin Powell and Mike Bloomberg marched at the front of the Caribbean West Indian Day Parade today in Brooklyn; Lenora Fulani and the Independence Party are supporting Bloomberg for re-election on the Independence Party line Column C. The Independence Party is the third largest party in New York.
- Colin Powell Endorses Bloomberg at West Indian Day Parade (By KAREN ZRAICK AND JENNIFER 8. LEE, NY Times/City Room)
- Hankster VIDEO from Caribbean West Indian Day Parade with a statement by Lenora Fulani
- The Leonard Lopate Show - Underreported: The Fight for the Independence Party (WNYC radio broadcast)
HEALTH CARE DEBATE
Socialism or capitalism? What about having a developmental conversation?
- Obama’s in the ER but he’ll get his reforms: The right’s healthcare scare tactics are hitting home – but to little purpose (Andrew Sullivan, Times Online - UK)
- David Axelrod on "Meet the Press" (TRANSCRIPT on RealClearPolitics)
- TV SoundOff: Sunday Talking Heads (Jason Linkins, Huffington Post EXCERPT) Obama's approval rating among independent voters is slipping. Gregory's assumption is that independent voters=centrist democrats. I have to imagine that independent voters are souring on Obama's health care maneuvers because he DOES NOT SEEM TO WANT TO FIGHT FOR THE REFORM FOR WHICH THEY VOTED.
- The Obama Slide (By DAVID BROOKS, NY Times)