Tuesday, June 30, 2009
- Independent gov in Michigan's future?
- Sotomayor has 64% independent support for Supreme Court confirmation
- Political Common Sense for America: The Creation of the Franklin Party By Brian Boeheim (NEW BOOK EXPLORES THE NON-‘SENSE’ IN PARTISANSHIP–Republicans vs. Democrats, Left Wing vs. Right Wing, Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off!) from HotIndieNews.com
- Check out Mayor Bloomberg at the Personal Democracy Forum 2009 yesterday -- Mike talks about politics then and now... via Skype from Jazz at Lincoln Center
Monday, June 29, 2009
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Salit: Well, that’s a problem.
Newman: I would say so.
Salit: Yes. And, you’re saying, what if it’s the case that the very thing that we need to make this thing work can’t be done, or can’t be done now, that it can’t be done at this stage of human development.
Newman: Alright. Let’s agree that that’s what I’m saying. What about that?
Saturday, June 27, 2009
I'm somewhat surprised at the heft of emotion that I feel at Michael Jackson's death yesterday.
Friday, June 26, 2009
- Russia Today: Americans want to throw off the partisan straightjacket
- Independents of faith must remain independent in the midst of politician sex scandals
- California reform
- New York City mayoral control of schools -- Bloomberg warns of chaos without it, Black Star News warns of educational apartheid, and Randi Weingarten quits UFT to go national
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
- WSJ: independent voters are the canaries in the mine of American politics...
- Log Cabin Repubs endorse Mayor Bloomberg...
- Gov Paterson orders NY Senate to meet
- Independent Pennsylvanian says: Sign the petition for Open Primaries!! (Letter to Pocono Record)
- Mayor Villaraigosa supports open primaries!
- NYC schools doing better -- Bloomberg's case for mayoral control
Monday, June 22, 2009
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Friday, June 19, 2009
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
- Attempt in Oregon to undo unfair law against independent candidates stalls in Dem state house (be sure to read the comments!)
- Early polling on NYC Mayor race (no one's on the ballot yet.....!) Bloomberg over Thompson
- NEW BOOK EXPLORES THE NON-‘SENSE’ IN PARTISANSHIP (–Republicans vs. Democrats, Left Wing vs. Right Wing…Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off!)
- Independents are the largest voting bloc in the country
- Pennsylvania mulls open primaries
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
- New York State Assembly expected to vote for Mayoral control of schools with inclusion of parents on the board Wednesday -- Teacher's Union Randi Weingarten supports it
- Pedro Espada now president pro tem of NY State Senate in Albany
Monday, June 15, 2009
Saturday, June 13, 2009
The Hankster recommends: Castillo's Eva Brenner's Heiner Muller's hamletmachine (dramaturgy courtesy of Castillo's Youth on Stage! director Dan Friedman, music and lyrics inspiration by prominent American Muller director Fred Newman) is an absolute standout. Amazing accomplishment of bringing European avant-garde together with American postmodern philosophical sensibility on common turf: the Castillo Theater on 42nd St. -- not Disney, not Mickey Mouse. Cudos to the ensemble and the production team.
Castillo's Eva Brenner's Heiner Muller's hamletmachine (dramaturgy courtesy of Castillo's Youth on Stage! director Dan Friedman, music and lyrics inspiration by prominent American Muller director Fred Newman) is an absolute standout. Amazing accomplishment of bringing European avant-garde together with American postmodern philosophical sensibility on common turf: the Castillo Theater on 42nd St. -- not Disney, not Mickey Mouse. Cudos to the ensemble and the production team.
Friday, June 12, 2009
- Taxes, Democrats, Republicans and independents: spin from the viewpoint of the conservative establishment
- Closed primaries in Pennsylvania are not acceptable
- Gov Schwarzenegger talks about the budget and open primaries -- audio from LA Times
- The meaning of money and voter turnout in the VA Dem Gov race + video from WAVY -- Deeds did poorly among African American voters. And here's a wrap-up from the Roanoke Times
- Mayoral control of schools inches forward in the midst of traditional Albany political play-book "chaos"
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
- Independents hold the balance of power in the Obama era -- John Avlon
- CQ Politics Poll Tracker picks up Pew Research poll about independents being highest percentage of American electorate in 70 years....
- Virginians reject establishment party politics in Dem primary for gov, Creigh Deeds wins
- Dan Janison talks about why this Albany budget gridlock is different from all other Albany budget gridlocks: Pedro Espada
Tuesday, June 09, 2009
Monday, June 08, 2009
- Mayor Bloomberg was in attendance at Sunday's NYC Independence Party Spring Chair Reception, hosted by NY County Chair Cathy Stewart and her rag-tag band of Independence Party executive committee members and IP registrants from all 5 boros. Pictured here, State Committee member from Bayside Queens Drago Lovrin, the Mayor, and the Hankster. (Watch The Hankster for more photos from the event!)
- Mary Alice Miller doesn't want black voters to be independent....
Sunday, June 07, 2009
- Tim Giago (aka Nanwica Kciji) writes in the Green Bay Press Gazette today urging American Indians (aka Native Americans) to go independent, so as to not be taken for granted by the Democrats.... Hey, Tim -- welcome home, good to see you here!
- Independent voters in Virginia changing course on Gov race...
Friday, June 05, 2009
- Glenn Thrush on Politico says the big story on Sonia Sotomayor approval rating is the independents -- 53-26% in favor...
- Harlem Children's Zone's Geoffrey Canada weighs in on mayoral control of NYC schools...
Thursday, June 04, 2009
- William K. Barth talks about why social conservatism and libertarianism don't mix for Repub Party
- The "Obama Effect" on Wall Street -- will it turn around now?
- Queens Courier endorses independent Mike Bloomberg
- Michael Goodwin on NYC Mayoral control of schools in Daily News yesterday: "Normal people ask whether mayoral control is good for kids. Legislators ask whether it is good for themselves." And here's the Post on charter school success.... and WSJ on Milwaukee and NYC school reform...
- Illinois state legislature votes (or not) on political reform
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
- Campaign for America's Future and Media Matters for America, say new polling and demographic data show that the country has shifted to the left
- Here's the Media Matters article
- Here's the full report
- What do we think about government take-over of failing corporations?
- Howard Dean says Congress should do what it needs to do for health care