|James Madison by Gilbert Stuart|
- Independence as Independents (By: Charlie Brenner, The Quad - Univ. of West Chester University) As long serving Representatives and Senators return to their home states to face a largely bitter American public, we can expect to see many incumbents joining their constituents in the unemployment line this November. Voters on both sides of the political spectrum are disenfranchised with the status quo bureaucracy of Washington, and neither Republicans nor Democrats have a solid platform from which to campaign. That is why I have proudly registered myself as an Independent voter, and remain convinced that the key to fixing our broken Washington system comes from the American public depolarizing and voting from a neutral, unpartisan perspective.
- Few voters may be key factor on Tuesday (Ted Nesi, WPRI Providence RI) Unaffiliated voters can choose to cast a ballot in either the Democratic or Republican primary. The deadline to register for the November general election is Oct. 2. More information on where to vote is available at rhodeisland.onpolitix.com .
- Paging Dr. House: Pro-Gustavo Rivera Docs Diagnose Espada-Itis (BY CELESTE KATZ, Daily News/Daily Politics) Espada, who has been attacked from all sides as he tries to hold on to his office, recently received the backing of former state Independence Party chief Lenora Fulani and a group of Bronx clergy and says he's not giving up.
- With DFS Quiet In 2010, DSCC Helps Fund New WFP Campaign Account (By Edward-Isaac Dovere, City Hall News) According to the WFP Campaign Committee’s expense allocations, that money was spent so far on Suzi Oppenheimer (for $153) and primarily on Gustavo Rivera, who is trying to unseat Senate Majority Leader Pedro Espada in Tuesday’s Democratic primary. According to campaign finance disclosures, Rivera is one of the other big funders of the WFP Campaign Committee, transferring $30,000 to it from his own campaign account in August—though the campaign committee’s filings only show $20,000 received.
- Working Families Party To Endorse Andrew Cuomo For Governor, Cuomo Accepts: Updated x 3 » (BY CELESTE KATZ, Daily News/Daily Politics) "While some of our members have differed in the past on some of the specific issues in the New NY Agenda, the Executive Committee unanimously takes this position because we understand and accept Andrew's point that this is a pivotal moment in the history of this state, similar to the 1975 New York City fiscal crisis, when leaders in the labor, civic, business and political arena must put aside their individual agendas for the good of the entire state.