While the conclusion by the US Justice Department to disallow nonpartisan city elections in Kinston NC, in spite of a 2-1 favorable vote last year by the electorate, is questionable (was it knee-jerk liberalism, exuberant Dem partisanship, or just plain bad judgement???), the fervor with which the right wing press has picked up on this smacks of more anti-Obama, knee-jerk reactionaryism, exuberant Repub partisanship, and just plain right-wing politics:
- Justice concludes black voters need Democratic Party (Ben Conery, Washington Times)
- Big Voting Rights Drama in Small Town (Clarice Feldman, Pajamas Media)
- The Politicization of Justice: Kinston, North Carolina (Heritage Foundation blog)
- DOJ forces town to put party labels on candidates for racial reasons (Ed Lasky, American Thinker)
MORE NONPARTISAN ELECTIONS
- Why One Democrat Thinks New York Needs a Strong GOP (By DAVID PARKER, Wall Street Journal) Democrats have also used their muscle to fight structural reforms. When Mike Bloomberg (full disclosure: the mayor is a former client) pushed to replace primaries with nonpartisan elections in a 2003 referendum, the Democratic Party pulled out all the stops to defeat the measure.
- U.S. Justice Department OK’s New Arizona Law that Forces Tucson to Use Non-Partisan City Elections (Ballot Access News)
- Poll: N.J. Independent Daggett at 20 Percent (By Emily Cadei, CQ Politics)
The Gay City News endorsement of Thompson in the Mayor's race appears to be purely partisan...
- The Campaign That Has Not Happened (Gay City News Endorsement for Thompson)