Alabama independent thinks party politics should be outlawed and the debate over where independents stand on health care reform stands...
- Time for independents to reform system (LETTER to Montgomery Advertiser)
- GOP seeks its revival in the revolt against Obama's healthcare plan (By Janet Hook and Peter Wallsten, LA Times) Others are still trying to figure out how to balance the desires of the base with the need to appeal to moderate swing voters who might be turned off by high-volume rhetoric. Whether they find that balance could determine whether the Republican Party can win back independents who voted overwhelmingly for Obama last year but now, according to several polls, are questioning their commitment to him.
Lots of election reform coming up in California
- California Legislature Returns to Work on August 17 (Ballot Access News)
Dems think Bill Thompson is a bad investment? Apparently not DC 37 and the Working Families Party. Meanwhile Mayor Bloomberg is financing his independent campaign from personal funds, and is being backed by the NYC Independence Party and also running on the Repub line...
- Thompson Fund-Raising Drops in His Bid to Unseat Bloomberg (By DAVID W. CHEN, NY Times)
- Dem NYC mayoral candidate spends $430K in a month (By The Associated Press, Newsday)
- Mayor Bloomberg Suffers Blow As Key Union Throws Support For Democratic Rival (AHN) Bloomberg is a lifelong member of the Democratic party who won as a Republican mayor in 2001 but became an Independent in 2007. He currently has a Democrat as a campaign manager -- Howard Wolfson, the former communications director of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign -- but has received the endorsement of the Independence Party and secured the Republican ballot line.
NY INDEPENDENCE PARTY
IP of Saratoga is fielding a full slate
- Miller Challenges Scirocco for DPW (Written By: Daniel Schechtman, Saratoga Today)
- Right Wing Strategy Successful in Disrupting Health Care Debate (Carol Forsloff, DigitalJournal) "Some writers who have examined the information and misinformation, as well as poll results, have been particularly concerned that the pushback by liberals has not been sufficient to educate the American public and that in fact liberals may not have been dramatic enough to get enough attention on the evening news.Nate Silver at Five Thirty Eight bemoans the media’s lack of responsibility in skewing or not reporting correct information so the public can make informed decisions...."