Unfortunately, conservatives are much quicker to claim independents as their kin than progressives:
- Young endorsement a coup for Kasim Reed 's mayoral bid (By Ernie Suggs, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution) “Endorsements are important and welcomed by all campaigns,” said Borders’ spokesperson Liz Flowers, adding that her candidate was endorsed Tuesday by iMove, an independent voters organization.
- The Myth of the Independent Voter Revisited (Alan I. Abramowitz, Center for Politics/Larry J. Sabato's Crystal Ball)
- When Boulder Starts Rolling Away -Obamacare's in trouble in an Obama town. (By Mark Hemingway, National Review Online) “For a long time, Republicans made the mistake of believing Colorado was a Republican state, but the truth is that it’s an independent state with a lot of swing voters,” observes John Ransom, chairman of the Douglas County GOP. (Douglas is a fast-growing, Republican-leaning county just south of Denver.) “My feeling is that Obama’s losing those independent voters who really don’t look at things through an ideological prism,” he adds.
- Who’s Got the Power? Progressives find themselves outmaneuvered on healthcare reform. (By David Moberg, In These Times) More importantly, longer-term possibilities have been created by the failure of the Bush administration, the narrowing Republican base, the economic crisis, the shift of independent voters toward liberal Democratic views and the demographic trends favoring a growing progressive bloc of voters.
- Gingrich Predicts Anti-liberal Eruption (by Jed Babbin, Human Events) Just like 2007, Washington isn’t listening. But this time it’s the Democrats, and they are not only refusing to hear, they’re insistently insulting their constituents.
- Health Care Reform Closely Followed, Much Discussed - 86% Hear of "Death Panel" Claims (Pew Research Center)
- More See White House and GOP Leaders at Odds - Democratic Favorable Ratings Slide (Pew Research Center)
- Daggett says he's in it to win (By Matt Friedman, PolitickerNJ.com Reporter)
Mike Bloomberg won the endorsement of the NYC Independence Party, and petitioned separately for an additional line
- Independent Mayoral Candidates: Naked Cowboy, Rev. Billy, Bloomberg (Liz Benjamin, Daily News/Daily Politics)
NY INDEPENDENCE PARTY
More court action on who controls county organizations -- local leaders or state officials.
- Appellate court issues ruling on primary cases (Buffalo News)
ON THE BLOGS
- Event: We Demand Transparency Conference for Peace, Truth, and a New Economics (by Robert Steele, Public Intelligence Blog) Most do not realize that Cynthia McKinney now with the Greens, and Jackie Salit, leader of the Independents, are also in the mix. A MAJORITY of eligible voters are now NEITHER Democratic nor Republican.