Ok, so the independent movement went left (by going right) -- a story that the MSM seems to have completely missed, and now the media is fixated on percentages of independents who now disapprove of Obama. Not so fast says Chris Cillizza in The Fix -- it's where independents will go in the midterms that the Dems have to watch out for!
- REVIEW of Committee for a Unified Independent Party President Jacqueline Salit's How the Independent Movement Went Left by Going Right by Darrel Manson in Hollywood Jesus - "Pop Culture from a Spiritual Point of View") NOTE: Darrel is an ordained minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and a member of the Green Party, living in southern California.
- Independents edge away from Obama (By: Ben Smith, Politico) “This is a huge sea change that is playing itself out in American politics,” said Democratic pollster Doug Schoen. “Independents who had become effectively operational Democrats in 2006 and 2008 are now up for grabs and are trending Republican...."
- Independents backing away from Obama (By DOUG THOMPSON, Capitol Hill Blue)
- Not so fast, says Chris Cillizza -- Obama is still very strong among independents: The Most Important Number in Politics Today (Chris Cillizza, Washington Post/The Fix) It's the midterms you have to watch out for....
- Sarah Palin, crazy or brilliant (Joshua Lobdell, Detroit Conservative Examiner) Independent voters by a 55%-34% simply want Palin to leave the national stage...
Arnold goes up against California Teachers Association -- again!
- Schwarzenegger holds his ground on budget (Carla Marinucci, Matthew Yi, San Francisco Chronicle) Schwarzenegger's recent resolve may be a product of his short political timetable: He cannot run again because of term limits, but he is keenly concerned about his legacy - and eager to put reform measures like an open primary and a rainy day fund before voters.
NEW YORK CITY POLITICS
Democratic Party losing ground in the face of growing independent movement in NYC:
- Queens City Council member Tony Avella wants a bigger fight against Bloomberg than what Bill Thompson is putting up.... Little-known Democrat still in NYC mayor's race (SARA KUGLER, Newsday)
- Wayne Barrett: The Empty-Suit Board of Ed (By Wayne Barrett, Village Voice/Runnin Scared) To see how far we've come, the last Board of Ed president was Bill Thompson, who rode that job into his current position as comptroller. Robert Wagner and David Dinkins were Stringer predecessors whose records as Manhattan borough president carried them into Gracie Mansion, and former Bronx Borough president Fernando Ferrer was the last Democratic nominee for mayor. Now, not all the clowns are in Albany.
What are all those Obama-istas up to now? The database still belongs to the DNC. But are they having conversations with their neighbors???
- An Army Untapped (By Harold Meyerson, Washington Post) This year, however, the administration has asked far less of that list and received, not surprisingly, far less in return. Organizing for America (formerly Obama for America), which maintains that list within the confines of the Democratic National Committee, has asked those 13 million Obamaites to "create a conversation within their communities," in the words of one DNC official.