Today is primary day and 3.5 million Flori

Friday, November 14, 2008

President Obama: Towards Nonpartisanship! Small "d" democracy!

Good evening, Hanksteristas!

Many things are being discussed by the punditistas within the current black hole of political commentary!

The American people have voted. We now have a new President-Elect Barack Obama. Many McCain supporters are lending their energy to a "new day". Obviously many independents and unaffilialated voters cast deciding votes for Barack Obama.

I join my independent colleagues across the country who I have been speaking with over the past few weeks, in saying, "I am happy with the outcome of the election."

That said, "Where do we go from here?"

Here's a thought: Towards Nonpartisanship! (NOT party politics!!)

In spite of my differences with President-Elect Obama (he's a Democrat from Kansas/Hawaii/Harvard, I'm an independent from Arkansas/Japan/VCU), I am thrilled at the prospect of independents partnering with his administration over the next 4 years.

I am very very proud of us folks. As a southern "baby-boomer" born in the state of Arkansas in 1952, to a "Kennedy Democrat" family, I grew up under segregation and never thought I would see this day in my lifetime. I'm personally gratified to deliver this moment to my mama and daddy, to all my folks, and to the country. We did good!

We the American people have done something to change the country in a way we never thought possible. YES WE CAN do something DIFFERENT! YES we can be democratic with a small "d"!

And independents MUST lead the way on election reform: inclusion of EVERYONE -- left, center, right; young and old; women and men; gay and straight; smart and dumb; Democrat and Republican; Left of the Moon, etc...

It is independents who will lead our country forward.

No comments: