- Obama, not Clinton, favored over McCain (Des Moines Register) Barack Obama would carry Iowa if he were the Democratic nominee running against McCain, if voters feel in November the way they do now. But McCain would carry Iowa in an election matchup with Democrat Hillary Clinton if the election were held now, according to the new poll.
- Independents could change tone of voting (BY TERRY ROSS, Yuma Sun) There is a complication, however, in the independent movement. Under our election process candidates are picked by the parties. The choices available to voters — including independents — mostly come from the two major parties. Independents are outside this system.
- Weaseling Families Party? Labor leaders backtrack on budget cut promises to Gov. Andrew Cuomo (EDITORIAL NY Daily News) The labor-backed party's leaders pledged to support Cuomo's fiscally austere agenda back when there was something in it for them - space alongside his name on the November ballot.
- Charter Schools Behind NYC School Closures (Examiner.com NY) In short, the closing schools were at the epicenter of the economic crisis that ensued in 2008 and reflect the particular kinds of damage it did to communities of color in NYC. This crisis accelerated the already deteriorating conditions in the schools creating an opportunity for privatizers looking to intensify the dismantling of public education.
- Scholar Ronald Ferguson To Speak on Racial Achievement Divide at Brown (GoLocalProv Features Team)