Today is primary day and 3.5 million Flori

Monday, July 02, 2007

Conversations on Independence

In "Let's Tango", Registered Independent comments on Newman and Salit's Talk/Talk picked up by Black Star News about Newman's statement that process and policy can't be separated. RI says independents are as diverse as America is (the Washington Post poll that came out yesterday notwithstanding....) and thus well-suited to coming up with sound policy. I agree. Our current process, because it excludes independents--or tries to--is undemocratic and yields policy that represents the elites.

When I was growing up, my parents were "Kennedy Democrats". I put a lot of faith in the "Party of the People" and considered my views the "correct" ones. But I lost faith when election after election, the Democrats in charge of policy never implemented those policies. The war in Vietnam was escalated, millions of people are today still without health care in the richest country in the world, and our education system has failed horribly. Yes, I think we need to engage the candidates. And I think we will do better to engage them from a position of strength. Independents don't need more position papers from partisan politicans. We need accountability. I think that requires independent voters getting organized and demanding access for everyone, not just the elites.

1 comment:

Intentional Fallacy said...

You hit the nail on the head by saying that because our process is undemocratic that it yields policy that represents elites! That is a great point.