Today is primary day and 3.5 million Flori

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Talk/Talk: New Guard Politics

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Below are excerpts from this week's Talk Talk, New Guard Politics . Every Sunday CUIP's president Jacqueline Salit and strategist and philosopher Fred Newman watch the political talk shows and discuss them. Here are excerpts from their dialogue on Sunday, June 8, 2008 after watching "The Chris Matthews Show" and "This Week with George Stephanopoulos".


Salit: The debate now turns to Obama vs. McCain and the general election campaign. McCain's play is to distance himself from Bush. McCain says the only thing I have in common with George Bush is that I support the tax cuts and I'll keep the tax cuts going. But I've gone up against my party. I've gone up against them on immigration, on torture, on energy independence, etc. So, says the McCain campaign, name me one example of Obama going up against the orthodoxy of his own party.

Newman: He got the nomination.

Salit: Good answer.

Newman: If you're running a generational change campaign, that's the only credential that you can have. And it's the only one that you need. You haven't been in power, so how do you have a resume of bucking your party? No, Obama took on his own party establishment and won.

Read Talk Talk in its entirety here.

No comments: