Obama Nomination Occurs on Lyndon Johnson’s 100th Birthday (Ballot Access News) Unfortunately, the U.S. Justice Department has consistently interpreted the Voting Rights Act to not apply to state laws that disenfranchise minor party and independent voters. Congress needs to pass a new Voting Rights Act.
CONTROVERSY: OREGON TOP TWO PRIMARY
- Oregon Democrats and Republicans team up to end third parties (Third Party Watch )
- The Parties Oppose The "Open Primary" (Free Citizen - Steve Rankin) with comments by IP of Oregon leaders
- The "Open Primary" Debate Rages On (Free Citizen - Steve Rankin)
- Obama faces balancing act on attacks (Ben Smith, Politico) David Axelrod, Obama's top strategist: “He will read everything Barack’s going to do or say just to get a sense of whether it seems like old politics.”
- A 'Maverick' Nominee, But Still The Same GOP-McCain Clinched Nomination Without Winning Over Conservatives, But Party Leaders Doubt Ideological Shift (by James A. Barnes, National Journal)
- Long way to go yet (Indian Country Today) But despite the dramatic victories of the American civil rights movement, the United States cannot claim moral authority as long as indigenous peoples in America suffer the highest rates of poverty and suicide.
- Top Obama aides counting on new voters to win in November-Newly registered Democrats will offset any lag for Obama among traditional party voters, Plouffe and Axelrod said Thursday at a Monitor breakfast. (Christian Science Monitor)
Golisano expands reform effort to national politics, contributes $1 million to Obama campaign-Iraq, deficit, energy are top priorities (Buffalo News)