Today is primary day and 3.5 million Flori

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It Bears Repeating....


Notice how the pundits (and some anti-pundits) use the term "independent" and "moderate" or "centrist" interchangeably? Earlier this month I came across this thoughtful piece by University of Maryland student Jay Nargundkar. He says:

My conservative friends consider me a liberal. My liberal friends
call me a conservative. I think I like it that way. Am I a “moderate”? I suppose
so, but I’m not sure I like that term. It implies one can’t have strong opinions
or one must take practical stands instead of principled stands.


Read the article and tell us what you think!

In the middle
Jay Nargundkar

April 03, 2006

Quick, what do you think most Americans consider themselves — Democrats or Republicans? Actually, according to a recent Gallup Poll, the largest group of people in this country are independents. Yet these days, you see people on the left calling for censure and impeachment of the president and those on the right rallying around issues such as opposition to illegal immigration. It seems both sides have forgotten about the sizable middle ground that wants compromise, not conflict....
more
Jay Nargundkar is a sophomore finance major. He can be reached at terpnews@gmail.com.

No comments: